TOWN OF WESTPORT, Wis. - A person of interest is in custody Monday in connection with a hit-and-run that killed a man north of Madison late Saturday, according to the Dane County Sheriff's Office.
Officials said deputies were called to the intersection of Highway 113 and County Road M at 11:53 p.m. for a report of a man lying on the shoulder of Highway 113. The vehicle was traveling south on Highway 113 from Highway M before it hit the man. It then continued south onto Northport Drive in Madison.
Sheriff spokeswoman Elise Schaffer said the person who was taken into custody is in Dane County Jail Monday on an unrelated probation hold and hasn't been charged in the case.
Schaffer said the investigation is still in its early stages, and even small tips can be crucial to making an arrest.
The Dane County Medical Examiner’s Office completed an autopsy on the victim Monday morning. The cause of death and his identity are expected to be release Monday, the sheriff's office said.
A preliminary investigation showed that the man was a victim of hit-and-run, officials said.
Officials are investigating the crash and said the vehicle that hit the man is possibly gray, silver or tan and has damage on its front near the headlights.
Anyone with information on the incident is asked to contact the Dane County Sheriff's Office or the department's tip line at 608-284-6900.
- Wisconsin inmate says flawed FBI hair, fiber analysis forced him to take 50-year prison plea deal
- Motorcyclist dies and passenger injured after striking deer in Mazomanie
- Court records: Man arrested for OWI in Green County served time for 2002 homicide
- Jefferson transforms for Harry Potter Festival
- Motorcycle driver taken to hospital after crash
- Guard who dragged a teen across floor gets bonus restored