JANESVILLE, Wis. - A man led law enforcement on a car -- and later foot -- chase in Janesville, Wis., after police discovered a burglary in progress Friday morning.
The Rock County Sheriff's Office said police identified Timothy Garland, 31, driving away from the residence that was robbed on Emerald Grove Road at about 10:40 a.m.
Law enforcement officers said they attempted to stop Garland but a high-speed chase ensued on East Rotamer Road to North Highway 26. Deputies lost sight of the vehicle for several minutes but discovered Garland's abandoned vehicle at Park Place Apartments on Park Place Lane. Minutes later after a brief foot chase, Janesville police officers took Garland into custody.
Police said items stolen from the residence were found in Garland's car.
The incident lasted about 19 minutes, according to police.
Garland is in Rock County jail.
In addition to Rock County and Janesville police agencies, the Wisconsin State Patrol contributed to the arrest.
The sheriff said the department is investigating other similar area burglaries.
- Winter weather could slow Wednesday commute
- $1M lottery ticket sold in Madison expires soon
- Men to be without safe, sober home with no live-in manager
- Ho-Chunk casino could draw $37 million from other casinos
- Multiple reports of gunshots heard in Madison Sunday night
- Deputies warn of thin ice as warm temps continue