JANESVILLE, Wis. - A man led law enforcement on a car -- and later foot -- chase in Janesville, Wis., after police discovered a burglary in progress Friday morning.
The Rock County Sheriff's Office said police identified Timothy Garland, 31, driving away from the residence that was robbed on Emerald Grove Road at about 10:40 a.m.
Law enforcement officers said they attempted to stop Garland but a high-speed chase ensued on East Rotamer Road to North Highway 26. Deputies lost sight of the vehicle for several minutes but discovered Garland's abandoned vehicle at Park Place Apartments on Park Place Lane. Minutes later after a brief foot chase, Janesville police officers took Garland into custody.
Police said items stolen from the residence were found in Garland's car.
The incident lasted about 19 minutes, according to police.
Garland is in Rock County jail.
In addition to Rock County and Janesville police agencies, the Wisconsin State Patrol contributed to the arrest.
The sheriff said the department is investigating other similar area burglaries.
- Video captures man stuffing puppies into drain
- Baldwin, other senators seek assurances from Trump pick for EPA
- Consumer Reports: Samsung Galaxy S8 first look
- Chief: Monday was 'horribly compelling night of crime' in Madison
- New gallery showcases visually impaired artists, proves creativity has no boundaries
- Attorney: Jakubowski traveled mostly on foot, was headed to South Dakota