MADISON, Wis. - A Madison woman was scammed when she tried to sell her car on Craigslist, according to a release from Madison police.
The 21-year-old woman told police she listed her car for $700 and got text messages from someone she thought was an out-of-state buyer. He sent her a check for $2,200 to cover the cost of the car, and she was asked to use the rest of the money to pay a driver to deliver her car.
She was told to send $1,450 via Walmart money transfer to the delivery person, who was reportedly in Cleveland.
The woman sent the money and later discovered that the check was fake, according to the release.
- Beaver Dam lingerie store robbed, sheriff says
- Waunakee volunteers help hungry in Haiti
- Man lurking in downtown with knife arrested
- Man struck on head with hammer after friend accuses him of theft
- Police arrest man in Wisconsin bicyclist hit-and-run death
- Wisconsin farmers help harvest corn after neighbor dies