MADISON, Wis. - A Madison police sergeant will resign as an internal investigation into his alleged marijuana use wraps up.
Sergeant Steve Beavers was going to face demotion and a 15-day unpaid suspension as a result of the investigation, but Police Chief Noble Wray decided not to pursue the punishment after Beavers offered his resignation.
Beavers' resignation is effective Sept. 30.
Wray said Beavers' cooperation in the investigation was taken into account when making his decision.
The internal investigation was started after police learned of Beavers' possible marijuana use in May. The investigation showed Beavers' used marijuana while off duty over the last several years, but did not use it while on-duty.
A drug test confirmed Beavers' marijuana use, according to police.
- Baldwin encourages U.S. Dept. of Agriculture secretary to Wisconsin dairy farmers
- Proposal would allow homemade baked goods sales in state
- Food delivery drivers targeted in Madison robberies, police say
- Fire marshal called to 2 fires in Jefferson County
- Witness: Man points gun at kids playing basketball
- License plate left behind at hit-and-run scene IDs driver, police say