MADISON, Wis. - A Madison police sergeant will resign as an internal investigation into his alleged marijuana use wraps up.
Sergeant Steve Beavers was going to face demotion and a 15-day unpaid suspension as a result of the investigation, but Police Chief Noble Wray decided not to pursue the punishment after Beavers offered his resignation.
Beavers' resignation is effective Sept. 30.
Wray said Beavers' cooperation in the investigation was taken into account when making his decision.
The internal investigation was started after police learned of Beavers' possible marijuana use in May. The investigation showed Beavers' used marijuana while off duty over the last several years, but did not use it while on-duty.
A drug test confirmed Beavers' marijuana use, according to police.
- Groups call for tax changes to free up $900M
- Apostle Islands ice caves inaccessible to visitors
- Judge properly moved teen into adult system to protect him
- Police: Boy, 12, to officers at mall: 'I'm going to kill you, your wife, your children'
- Hundreds of thousands of candies blanket Dodge County road, sheriff says
- State sues former UW-Oshkosh chancellor, business officer