A Madison man admitted to eight armed robberies from May 3 to May 21, according to a criminal complaint.
Cody Shell, 17, appeared in court Tuesday on eight charges of armed robbery.
The complaint states that Shell admitted to the following robberies:
- May 3: Shell gas station, 950 S. Park St.
- May 6: BP gas station, 5445 University Ave.
- May 16: Capitol Petro, 4601 Verona Road
- May 17: BP gas station, 735 E. Washington Ave.
- May 17: Citgo, 2022 Fordem Ave.
- May 18: 7-Eleven, 2703 West Beltline Highway
- May 20: Capitol Petro, 6702 Mineral Point Road
- May 21: Citgo, 4602 Verona Road
Shell told police he used the same BB gun during each of the robberies.
Police said Monday morning that officers used area surveillance video to identify a getaway car from the Sunday robbery and the description was shared with on-duty officers.
A west district officer spotted the car just after 5 p.m. on Mineral Point Road near Grand Canyon Drive. The car pulled into a parking lot and two people got out. A weapon was found in the car.
Shell was arrested for the Sunday robbery and was considered a person of interest in a series of recent holdups that targeted area gas stations and convenience stores, police said.
Bail was set at $20,000. His preliminary hearing is scheduled for June 6.
- 2nd possible shots fired incident Thursday morning reported near Stoughton Road, Hwy. 151
- Eau Claire man's body found in south Minneapolis park
- Wisconsin among states backing bid to collect online sales tax
- 2 men shot in lower extremities on Madison's east side, police say
- Stoughton man arrested on fifth offense driving while intoxicated
- The art of gratitude: Doctors say giving thanks improves your health