RACINE, Wis. - A Racine man convicted of killing an infant through abuse so severe that her skull fractured and her pancreas tore in half has been sentenced to 30 years in prison.
During Friday's sentencing hearing, the judge called the offense "horrific."
A Journal Times of Racine report said 23-year-old Andre Knighton pleaded no contest to first-degree reckless homicide. Before being sentenced Friday, he told the judge he takes full responsibility and that there's no justification for what he did. He asked for forgiveness.
Knighton was watching his girlfriend's daughter, 2-year-old Donnasia Jackson, in 2011 while the mother was at work. Prosecutors say Knighton became enraged when Donnasia soiled herself and began to fuss.
The criminal complaint says Knighton slammed her to the floor 12 to 15 times. Knighton told investigators he was suffering from a migraine at the time.
- 'Out of the darkness' walk for suicide prevention
- Woman may face charges after being thrown from vehicle during crash
- Officials ID fatal Grant County crash victim
- Police: Electronics taken from Boscobel home Friday
- Armed robberies in Monona, Madison may be connected, Monona PD says
- Widow of slayed Racine man wants ban of hollow-point bullets