EAU CLAIRE, Wis. - An Eau Claire couple filed a suit alleging the man who was with their adult son the night he drowned played a role in his death, though police found no indication of foul play.
Larry and Anita Fike's 21-year-old son, Joseph, drowned in the Chippewa River last year. He had tried to swim from an island in the river to shore in July.
An autopsy revealed no traumatic injuries and determined his cause of death was accidental drowning. The Eau Claire Leader-Telegram reported that toxicology tests show Fike's blood alcohol level was more than three times the legal limit for driving.
The Eau Claire couple is seeking unspecified damages and attorney fees.
- Dating apps pose risk to teenagers, expert says
- Lawsuit over baked goods ban heads to court
- FDA issues warning letters over 'bogus cancer cures'
- County leaders announce effort to increase access to services for sexual assault victims
- Man barricaded in house with guns, ammunition surrenders, police say
- Local musician, drum instructor charged with possession of child porn