EAU CLAIRE, Wis. - An Eau Claire couple filed a suit alleging the man who was with their adult son the night he drowned played a role in his death, though police found no indication of foul play.
Larry and Anita Fike's 21-year-old son, Joseph, drowned in the Chippewa River last year. He had tried to swim from an island in the river to shore in July.
An autopsy revealed no traumatic injuries and determined his cause of death was accidental drowning. The Eau Claire Leader-Telegram reported that toxicology tests show Fike's blood alcohol level was more than three times the legal limit for driving.
The Eau Claire couple is seeking unspecified damages and attorney fees.
- 29-year-old man dies from injuries suffered in Beloit fire
- Suspended UW-Madison student wants sex charges dismissed
- Medical center closes while DEA investigates
- UWM instructor hopes students can find solution to lead problem
- Man arrested on suspicion of OWI after crash
- Assembly Republicans plan to add $300 million for roads