MADISON, Wis. - An employee at a deli detained one of two men Madison police say were involved in a theft from a State Street restaurant Wednesday.
Police said two men entered the Rising Sun Deli at 617 State St. before 1:15 p.m., and one of the men distracted employees while the other grabbed cash left by a customer to pay a bill.
A 22-year-old deli employee chased one of the men as they fled and caught up with the man who took the cash in an alleyway off the 400 block of North Frances Street, according to police. Donald D. Alford-Lofton , 18, was held by the man until police arrived. Alford-Lofton was arrested on suspicion of theft and obstructing. Police said he was wanted by Milwaukee police for armed robbery.
Police said Dymond D. Green, 19, jumped on a city bus and was recognized by a parking enforcement officer who had just heard the suspects' descriptions over his radio. Police stopped the bus and arrested Green on suspicion of party to the crime of theft.
The men denied knowing each other and denied being in the deli, but police said surveillance images showed the men entering and fleeing the deli together.
- UW-Madison chosen by U.S DOT to test automated vehicles
- Janesville robotics team among top 10 in global competition, moves to final round
- EPA grant freeze could ‘pull rug out from under' UW-Madison research
- Man on trial for deadly shooting says he was fearful for his life
- Suspected serial thief steals again, police say
- State manufacturing tax credit continues to grow