JANESVILLE, Wis. - Janesville police officers responded to a report of a vehicle operating with a missing tire near Park Avenue and West Racine Street at 3:25 a.m. Saturday.
As officers checked the area, a parked trailer attached to a truck was found that was damaged and a tire was left at the scene, police said.
Officer Chad Woodman followed scratch marks in the pavement to an address on Johnson Street and made contact with Brett Wiedmer at the home, according to the report.
Police said Wiedmer denied being involved in the accident, but information developed through the course of the investigation placed Wiedmer behind the wheel of the vehicle at the time of the accident.
Officers also said Wiedmer appeared impaired but refused to do field sobriety tests.
Wiedmer was charged on suspicion of hit-and-run and OWI fourth offense, police said.
Police said a blood sample was taken but results are pending.
Wiedmer remained in custody at the Rock County Jail Saturday morning pending his court appearance.
- Family remembers fire that took 4 kids' lives 25 years later
- Plea deal reached in killing of 13-year-old girl in 1982
- Madison Club donation focuses on 100 Black Men, achievement gap
- Madison Metro bus driver retires after half a century
- City streets dept. denies telling MMSD roads were OK
- Icy conditions send more people to ER for falls