MOUNT PLEASANT, Wis. - Police said a person who was discovered dead after a house fire in Mount Pleasant was intentionally killed.
The Journal Times reported police believe the fire discovered early Tuesday was set by someone who knew the victim.
Mount Pleasant Police Chief Tim Zarzecki said investigators believe the body belonged to a young woman, but are waiting for confirmation from the Racine County Medical Examiner's Office.
He said investigators are also trying to determine whether she was killed as a result of the fire or died before the fire.
Zarzecki said the victim was staying at the residence temporarily but not living there. Neighbors told authorities the people who had been occupying the residence moved to Texas.
- GOP Legislature calls redistricting ruling 'dangerous'
- Crazylegs run/walk to close many downtown streets Saturday
- Dane County to acquire 130 acres along Yahara River
- 4 juveniles suspected of damaging maliboxes in rural Portage, Pardeeville areas
- 2 on moped injured in downtown Madison crash, officials say
- Baldwin encourages U.S. Dept. of Ag secretary to visit Wisconsin dairy farmers