BELOIT, Wis. - A 20-year-old died after a shooting on Beloit's west side Thursday morning.
Police were called to the 500 block of Eighth Street shortly after midnight for a report of a man down.
When police arrived, officers found 20-year-old Hykyme Hayes, of Beloit, lying on the sidewalk suffering from an apparent gunshot wound. Police said he was taken by ambulance to Mercy Hospital in Janesville, but later died.
Investigators were on the scene most of the night, but have reopened the area to the public.
Police believe the incident was crime related, and said they are adding extra patrols to perform targeted enforcement in some neighborhoods.
Anyone with information about the shooting is asked to call Beloit police.
- Angler catches massive trout, doesn't count for state record
- Overtime to catch Jakubowski cost Rock County Sheriff's Office $80,000
- Grant County school bus crash injures two
- Milwaukee TV station receives letter from author claiming to be Jakubowski
- Drugged driving deaths surpass drunken driving fatalities
- Police: Man who threw May Day Molotov cocktail arrested in Elkhart