FITCHBURG, Wis. - A Fitchburg man is in custody after trying to spend numerous counterfeit $20 bills at an area liquor store.
The Secret Service office in Chicago, which investigates the passing of false currency throughout the United States, confirmed the arrest but would not release further details as the investigation is ongoing.
The suspect told authorities he was approached at the mall by an unidentified man who gave him the $20s in exchange for a $100 bill. He was unable to give them any defining characteristics of the alleged individual who gave him the counterfeit bills.
Derrick Golden, the public information officer with the Secret Service office in Chicago, said Fitchburg police made the arrest and his office is helping. A message left for Fitchburg police had not been returned at the time of publication.
- Deputies warn of thin ice as warm temps continue
- Falcons roll 44-21 to reach Super Bowl
- Packers fall to Falcons 44-21
- Family, friends of Tony Robinson protest plan to return officer to patrol
- Packers fans stock up on snacks before NFC Championship game
- Wisconsin officials investigating skull found on vacant land