MADISON, Wis. - A preliminary hearing is set for the three men accused of assaulting Wisconsin running back Montee Ball.
At a Dane County Court hearing Monday, a preliminary hearing was at for Oct. 2 for Wendell J. Venerable, Deonte J. Wilson and Robert A. Wilks.
The three University of Wisconsin-Madison students have been charged with party to the crime of substantial battery.
The men have posted bail. The preliminary hearing will determine if there is enough evidence for the men to stand trial.
Probable cause affidavits said a witness and surveillance video place the men in the area where Ball was attacked. Aug. 1.
Ball suffered a concussion during the early morning assault near campus.
The criminal complaint said witnesses identified the three men by looking at surveillance video from an apartment building.
Witnesses also told investigators they heard the attackers said they planned to target 10 football players in retaliation for a previous fight at a party when one of them was hurt.
Wilson told WISC-TV he was wrongly accused and denied involvement in the attack.Hearing date set for Montee Ball beating suspects
- Local woman shares warning after credit card theft
- Bond reduced in UW-Stout student death case
- Madison police make arrest in downtown robbery
- Downtown homicide victim's roommate: Victim was likely trying to help the man who killed him
- Vet: Quick action saved dog who swallowed nails; Humane Society: 'This is now on our radar'
- State receives $20,000 grant to combat drugged driving