MADISON, Wis. - Dane County Sheriff's deputies are investigating a pole-barn burglary on Highway 51 in the Town of Albion.
Deputies said approximately $1,500 worth of copper, $600 worth of tools and a catalytic converter valued at $400 were stolen.
The victim told police the theft happened sometime between Sunday night and Monday evening. The thieves entered the pole barn by breaking a window on the back of the building, according to the report.
The Dane County Sheriff's Department said metal theft is an ongoing issue for law enforcement. From 2001 to 2008, the price of copper increased by more than 500 percent. Thieves are able to get quick cash from copper, making it an easy target for criminals, according to the department.
Anyone with information on the barn burglary is asked to call the Dane County tip line at 608-284-6900.
- Family remembers fire that took 4 kids' lives 25 years later
- Plea deal reached in killing of 13-year-old girl in 1982
- Madison Club donation focuses on 100 Black Men, achievement gap
- Madison Metro bus driver retires after half a century
- City streets dept. denies telling MMSD roads were OK
- Icy conditions send more people to ER for falls