MADISON, Wis. - Dane County Sheriff's deputies are investigating a pole-barn burglary on Highway 51 in the Town of Albion.
Deputies said approximately $1,500 worth of copper, $600 worth of tools and a catalytic converter valued at $400 were stolen.
The victim told police the theft happened sometime between Sunday night and Monday evening. The thieves entered the pole barn by breaking a window on the back of the building, according to the report.
The Dane County Sheriff's Department said metal theft is an ongoing issue for law enforcement. From 2001 to 2008, the price of copper increased by more than 500 percent. Thieves are able to get quick cash from copper, making it an easy target for criminals, according to the department.
Anyone with information on the barn burglary is asked to call the Dane County tip line at 608-284-6900.
- Woman may face charges after being thrown from vehicle during crash
- Officials ID fatal Grant County crash victim
- Police: Electronics taken from Boscobel home Friday
- Armed robberies in Monona, Madison may be connected, Monona PD says
- Widow of slayed Racine man wants ban of hollow-point bullets
- Wisconsin tribes clash in casino expansion fight