PORTAGE, Wis. - A man and woman have been charged with felony burglary in Columbia County after allegedly stealing a family's Christmas presents from beneath their tree.
Forty-six-year-old Charlene Gordon of Portage and 43-year-old Dean Jansma of rural Cambria are accused of taking 15 wrapped presents meant for four children in the town of Scott on Monday. The Portage Daily Register reported they also allegedly took tools and other items.
According to a criminal complaint, the family returned Monday after shopping and dinner to find the presents missing.
Columbia County sheriff's Detective Lt. Roger Brandner said detectives made arrests within 24 hours by tracing pawn store records to Jansma and connecting Jansma to Gordon through additional records.
Brandner described the thefts as heartless.
- Teenager 'going crazy with a knife' arrested
- PD: Drunk Mt. Horeb man jumps from moving car, runs into side of SUV
- City streets dept. denies telling MMSD roads were OK
- Phone scammer claims to be MPD Chief Mike Koval, officials say
- Icy Dane County road causes nearly 40-car pileup, officials say
- Man, woman caught selling stolen bike on Craigslist, police say