PORTAGE, Wis. - A man and woman have been charged with felony burglary in Columbia County after allegedly stealing a family's Christmas presents from beneath their tree.
Forty-six-year-old Charlene Gordon of Portage and 43-year-old Dean Jansma of rural Cambria are accused of taking 15 wrapped presents meant for four children in the town of Scott on Monday. The Portage Daily Register reported they also allegedly took tools and other items.
According to a criminal complaint, the family returned Monday after shopping and dinner to find the presents missing.
Columbia County sheriff's Detective Lt. Roger Brandner said detectives made arrests within 24 hours by tracing pawn store records to Jansma and connecting Jansma to Gordon through additional records.
Brandner described the thefts as heartless.
- MPD: Around 12,000 attend 2017 Mifflin Street Block Party; no serious incidents
- Officials identify woman killed in Middleton homicide; suspect in custody
- Robber points gun at motel clerk, flees empty-handed
- Wisconsin woman's play to take stage in San Diego
- Aging farmers in Wisconsin fear nursing care may cost farm
- Green Bay official explores ban on openly carrying guns