PORTAGE, Wis. - A man and woman have been charged with felony burglary in Columbia County after allegedly stealing a family's Christmas presents from beneath their tree.
Forty-six-year-old Charlene Gordon of Portage and 43-year-old Dean Jansma of rural Cambria are accused of taking 15 wrapped presents meant for four children in the town of Scott on Monday. The Portage Daily Register reported they also allegedly took tools and other items.
According to a criminal complaint, the family returned Monday after shopping and dinner to find the presents missing.
Columbia County sheriff's Detective Lt. Roger Brandner said detectives made arrests within 24 hours by tracing pawn store records to Jansma and connecting Jansma to Gordon through additional records.
Brandner described the thefts as heartless.
- Police: Man who threw May Day Molotov cocktail arrested in Elkhart
- 2 kayakers die after boats capsizes in Lake Michigan
- Stoughton man faces felony 7th OWI
- Highway 151 closed near Blue Mounds due to semi vs. car crash
- Police, medical examiner respond to suspicious death
- Construction continues on Capitol Square; new traffic pattern starts May 1