MADISON, Wis. - Crews have responded to a report of a house explosion on Madison's west side Wednesday afternoon.
Madison police said officers and city firefighters were headed to the 7800 block of Stratton Way at about 2 p.m.
The Madison Fire Departments spokeswoman Cynthia Schuster told News 3 "the house blew up," and initial reports indicate that the structure is gone and there is active fire that firefighters are fighting.
Kristin Bausch, who lives nearby, said she was working from home when she felt her house shake.
"I shook in my chair," Bausch said. "It sounded like a collision or some type of explosion, neighbors were coming outside, and then we soon after saw flames shooting up above the trees."
Madison police said parents whose children normally get off buses in the area near the explosion should pick their students up at their respective schools. Police said motorists should expect traffic delays and asked residents to avoid the area Wednesday afternoon.
Watch a News 3 livestream video of the area:
News 3 has crews at the scene. Refresh the story for updates as we receive them.
- DOT Inspector General will look for cost savings, efficiencies
- Marshall man arrested in North Dakota with 40 pounds of marijuana
- 7-year-old boy hit by gunfire in Milwaukee
- Full federal court to hear 'Making a Murderer' appeal
- One dead following Rock County motorcycle crash
- Chryst comments on NFL protests, relationship with players