COTTAGE GROVE, Wis. - The State Patrol shut down all westbound lanes on Interstate 94 for a crash near mile marker 247 early Sunday morning.
State patrol officers said a man was driving his pickup truck eastbound on I-94 between Cambridge and Sun Prairie just after midnight Sunday morning when he crossed the median and hit a westbound vehicle head-on.
That vehicle started on fire, the driver was pinned inside, officials said.
First responders were able to extricate him. He was taken to the hospital with serious injuries but was expected to survive. The driver of the pickup truck, Jose Fuentes-Lopez of Milwaukee, is facing charges of operating while intoxicated, according to state patrol officers.
Witnesses on scene told police that one woman carrying an infant and accompanied by at least two children got out of the pickup truck and walked into the woods after the crash. A K-9 unit was unable to find them.
- Madison school district hosts meeting on teacher accused of sex assault
- Madison police program fights back against repeat overdoses
- UWPD: Man with gun reported near Union South no longer in the area
- Review: 'The Foreigner' pits Jackie Chan against James Bond
- Distracted drivers delay emergency responders
- Kaepernick to the Pack? Fans weigh in on idea