This is traditional, Irish country, comfort food Be sure to serve it for St Patrick's Day but it is also a good way to enjoy potatoes anytime. Cabbage has some big health benefits. It is high in cancer-fighting phytochemicals.
2 1/2 pounds (6 large) potatoes, peeled and quartered
1 pound (4 cups) shredded cabbage
1/2 cup fat-free milk
1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
4 ounces fat-free cream cheese
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
salt and pepper to taste
In a large saucepan, cook potatoes in salted boiling water until tender. While potatoes are cooking, place cabbage in a large saucepan. Cover pan and cook in salted boiling water for 10 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside. When potatoes are done, drain well. Add milk and beat with electric mixer until smooth. Add sour cream, cream cheese, and white pepper. Beat until smooth. Add additional milk if necessary to make potatoes light and fluffy. Add cabbage and stir to mix. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
Nutritional Information per serving:
Fat, gm. 0
Protein, gm. 6
Carbs, gm. 25
Cholesterol, mg. 5
Fiber, gm. 1.7
- Stoughton man critical after rollover crash
- 30 missing after avalanche buries Italian hotel
- One injured after stabbing in Madison
- Grocery store offers 'ugly' produce to combat food waste
- Missing Marathon County man found safe
- Police: Boy, 12, to officers at mall: 'I'm going to kill you, your wife, your children'