MADISON,Wis. -

Three children escaped without injury from a house fire Friday afternoon on Madison’s east side. The fire started in a bedroom after two of the children were playing with a lighter, according to a Madison Fire Department Report.

Firefighters were sent to the home at 4714 Camden Road just before 2 p.m. When officials  arrived on the scene, they reported black smoke coming from windows in the rear corner of the home, according to the report.

When officials entered the house they encountered some light smoke and heard a smoke alarm sounding. When they opened the bedroom door hot, black smoke came rushing out. Firefighters quickly knocked down the fire using an aggressive interior fire attack, according to the report.

Fire crews ventilated smoke from the house and checked for fire extension into the walls and ceiling.

The fire caused approximately $25,000 damage to the house. One of the children closed the bedroom door before evacuating the home. This kept the fire from spreading to other parts of the home, limiting the flame and heat damage to the bedroom, according to the report.