MADISON, Wis. -

A fire caused by smoking materials caused $4,000 in damage Sunday morning, but officials said it could have been higher if the building didn't have a sprinkler system.

The town of Madison Fire Department responded to a report of a structure fire in a two-story multiple-family structure around 9:50 a.m. on Pheasant Ridge, according to a release.

When crews went into the building they found that the fire was extinguished and under control with one sprinkler head activated closest to the fire, officials said.

The fire caused approximately $4,000 in damage, according to the release. There were no injuries to residents or emergency crews.

Officials said the occupant of the apartment was not home at the time of the fire.

The fire was caused by careless use of smoking materials, investigators said. The resident said he dumped recently-used smoking materials into a wicker basket used for trash before he left the apartment.

The wicker trash basket and a stuffed chair caught fire, according to the release. A sprinkler head put out most of the fire before emergency crews arrived.

The Fitchburg Fire Department assisted at the scene.