BAGLEY, Wis. - Seven people were injured in a motor vehicle crash at a campground in Bagley late Saturday night, according to a release from the Grant County Sheriff’s Department.
Officials said that Fennimore native Stacy M. Smith lost control of her vehicle while making a left turn, finally coming to a stop after striking a tent with seven people inside it and then backing up over it.
According to officials, Smith was arrested for OMVI after first responders arrived on the scene.
Taylor Parker, a witness to the crash, described the scene in an interview with News 3 Sunday.
"After she realized that she hit the tent, because people were screaming, instead of backing up, she drove forward more," Parker said.
Scene last night at River of Lakes campground in Bagley. Police say Stacy Smith, 32, ran over a tent injuring 7. She was arrested for OWI pic.twitter.com/7QcXQEFkma— Keely Arthur (@news3keely) August 13, 2017
Parker said Smith appeared to be extremely intoxicated.
"She had a beer in one hand and a cigarette in the other," Parker said. "You could tell she was really drunk, because she could barely stand on her own."
All seven of the victims were transported to nearby hospitals, and three of them were airlifted to Madison shortly thereafter.
The extent of the victims’ injuries is unknown at this time.
- Police: Man who 'took acid' runs into traffic, tries to get into occupied cars
- Hotel incident that led to robbery, gunfire started as prostitution meeting, police say
- DNR: Deer license sales down heading into opener
- Wisconsin DNR finds invasive carp in Wisconsin River
- Protected albino deer killed in Pepin County
- Milton's Consolidated Elementary ranks best in state