MILWAUKEE - The Milwaukee Brewers have acquired third baseman Nick Delmonico from Baltimore in exchange for right-handed reliever Francisco Rodriguez.
Delmonico, 21, was selected by the Orioles in the sixth round of the 2011 First-Year Player Draft. He batted .249 with 11 HR and 54 RBI in 95 games last season at Class-A Delmarva, his first professional season.
He tied for the team lead in home runs and ranked second on the club in RBI as he was selected to the South Atlantic League mid-season All-Star team.
Delmonico, who entered 2013 as the fourth-best prospect in the Orioles organization according to Baseball America, batted .244 with 13 HR and 30 RBI in 60 games at Class-A Frederick this season. His 13 homers led the team.
"We appreciate Francisco's character and performance as a member of the Brewers," said Melvin.
"In Nick Delmonico, we are getting a young left-handed hitting prospect that we liked as an amateur and have continued to follow and like as a professional. We are happy to add him to the organization."
Rodriguez, 31, went 1-1 with a 1.09 ERA in 25 games with the Brewers this season, going 10-for-10 in save opportunities.
His 304 career saves tie Jeff Montgomery for 21st on the all-time Major League list.
- Neighborhood initiative aims to diminish crime on Madison's east side
- Dodge Co. Sheriff asks for more student education after school threats made
- Two injured in Iowa County rollover crash
- Family: Milwaukee mother shot repeatedly in van
- Dane County airport wins award for food program
- East side Walgreens robbed at gunpoint Sunday