MADISON, Wis. - The University of Wisconsin - Madison is opening a new center to show better support for African-American students on campus.
The Black Cultural Center will be on the first floor of the Red Gym.
Organizers hope this space will allow students to learn more about the contributions African-Americans have made on campus.
The center will also feature art by black artists, a lounge and computer work stations.
Karla Foster, the interim program director of the Black Cultural Center, said a space that represents minority students on campus is necessary.
“It affirms the black student experience. It also serves as a learning and an educational tool for majority students to learn more about black and African-American culture,” Foster said.
Organizers said the space is not exclusive to African-America students. It is open to everyone on campus.
- Review: 'Justice League' an improvement for DC, still not the hero movie we need
- Body found in woods identified as missing teenager
- Madison pimp who used social media to recruit sex trafficking victims sentenced to prison
- Wisconsinites present White House Christmas tree to Melania Trump
- Final report analyzes options for controversial oil pipeline
- Wausau man charged with fatally shooting friend