BELOIT, Wis. - Police said a hazardous item reported in a car near a Beloit credit union Wednesday afternoon was identified as a fake grenade.
Rock County Dispatch said it received a report at 3:02 p.m. of a car with a suspicious item at First Community Credit Union, 1702 Park Ave.
Dispatchers said some roads near the credit union were blocked, but they were reopened around 5 p.m.
Capt. Dan Risse said police were waiting on a Winnebago County, Illinois, law enforcement team to assess the item.
Beloit police said the car involved in the incident was repossessed, but the owner will not face any charges.
- UW-Madison chosen to test autonomous vehicles
- Woman pinned in van after crash with ambulance on Hwy. 12
- Increase in garage burglaries reported in Sun Prairie
- Man accused of trying to kill unborn child in Wis. arrested in NY
- Two men charged with armed robbery in Monroe
- Crews deal with dwindling salt supply, funds amid icy winter