BARABOO, Wis. - A bear was spotted in Sauk County Monday in the early morning hours, police said.
The Baraboo Police Department said officers saw an adult-sized black bear at 12:40 a.m. walking through the municipal pool lot near Campbell Park toward the Village Square Apartments.
Officers found the bear again as it ran across Badger Drive and eventually across the 400 block of Lynn Avenue, according to a post on the department's Facebook page. Officers lost sight of the bear as it continued north toward the river.
Police said the DNR was advised of the sighting.
Police said bear sightings in cities are rare, and residents and visitors are asked to be cautious when outside. They're also asked not to leave out any garbage, which may attract the animals.
- Charges against Madison teacher accused of sexual assault dropped
- Consumer Reports: TV terms explained for Black Friday
- Westfield native 1 of 2 Rhodes Scholarship finalists at UW
- Drunken driver hits multiple cars, leads deputy on pursuit, sheriff says
- 4-year-old thrown from truck in OWI crash left behind, officials say
- 2 armed men rob victim on Fish Hatchery Road, police say