Wisconsin’s aviation industry is being honored after having nearly 5.5 million people board commercial flights and more than 107 million pounds of cargo transported last year, according to a release.
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation and the Transportation Development Association of Wisconsin are promoting, educating and celebrating the state’s aviation industry with a proclaimed Aviation Week starting Monday, according to the release.
Gov. Scott Walker proclaimed Monday to Aug. 4 as Wisconsin Aviation Week, according to the release.
“Wisconsin’s airport system plays a vital role in the state’s transportation network,” DOT Secretary Mark Gottlieb said in the release. “It responsibly and effectively meets business, passenger, freight and recreational air transportation needs all around the state.”
Wisconsin’s aviation system includes more than 730 landing facilities with 133 of them being public-use airports, according to the release. Approximately 70 percent of general aviation operations are business-related, and the other 30 percent is recreational.
“The aviation industry links our state’s residents and workers to larger national and global economies,” Transportation Development Association of Wisconsin Executive Director Craig Thompson said in the release. “Businesses recognize the state’s aviation network is crucial to remain competitive in today’s ever-changing marketplace.”
Gottlieb said more than $113 million in federal and state funds supported 86 airport-improvement projects in 2012.
Wisconsin’s aviation industry workforce is moving Wisconsin forward with more than 90,000 jobs that generate nearly $7 billion in annual economic activity and $3.5 billion in personal income, Thompson said.
Aviation week coincides with EAA AirVenture in Oshkosh, according to the release. More than half a million people from more than 60 countries attend the seven-day event at Wittman Regional Airport to celebrate the past, present and future in the world of flight.