UW-Platteville student accused of making meth in dorm
Police: Meth-making sparked small fire Saturday
A UW-Platteville student was arrested Saturday, accused of making methamphetamine that sparked a fire in a campus dormitory hall.
UW-Platteville police said Rountree Commons was partially evacuated after 1 a.m. Saturday after a small fire was detected on the building's fourth floor. Police said the fire was started by a student who was trying to make meth in a 20-ounce plastic bottle. According to police, the meth ingredients started the fire and the student extinguished it and emergency personnel were contacted.
Three people, including the student, were treated for smoke inhalation.
Most students were allowed to return Rountree Commons shortly after 1 a.m. and the remaining fourth-floor residents were let back in at 4 a.m.
A LaFayette County drug task force methamphetamine lab investigation expert was brought in and declared the building safe.
The student was arrested and taken to the Grant County Jail. The student was being held on a tentative charge of attempted manufacturing of methamphetamine.
Copyright 2012 by Channel 3000. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.