MADISON, Wis. -

An unintentional kitchen fire caused $20,000 in damage and temporarily displaced four people Tuesday night, according to a release.

Crews responded around 7:15 p.m. to the 400 block of Troy Drive to investigate a fire alarm, officials said. When they arrived they found smoke coming from one corner of the building.

Firefighters found a fire inside a kitchen in a third-floor apartment, according to the release. Fire had extended into the kitchen cabinets and onto the countertops before crews put the fire out.

A cast iron pot was on the stove, and when investigators found it the bottom was burned to the point that it had holes in it.

When the apartment’s occupant got home, he told officials he left around 4:15 p.m. He said he hadn’t been cooking before leaving, and did not know how the stove was turned on.

The American Red Cross helped the occupants, two adults and two children, who were not able to return to the apartment.