STOUGHTON, Wis. -

A chemistry teacher is home recovering after burning her hand when a science experiment went awry at Stoughton High School.

Superintendent Tim Onsager said the teacher was conducting a routine experiment to show how chemical reactions happen when a "flash" happened Monday morning.

Onsager said the teacher burned her right palm. She was treated and released from the University of Wisconsin Hospital in Madison.

Some students were showing signs of smoke inhalation and were taken to a local hospital as a precaution.

Eventually the entire classroom of about 25 students was checked out at the hospital as a precaution. They have since been released to their parents.

The superintendent said there was no evacuation, and the smoke alarms didn't even go off.

Workers are cleaning the classroom. There was no damage.