Pot left on stove starts restaurant fire

Damage estimated at $225,000

Published On: Feb 27 2013 08:33:54 AM CST   Updated On: Feb 27 2013 08:34:41 AM CST
Taqueria Guadalajara fire
MADISON, Wis. -

A pot left on a kitchen stove started a fire that damaged a Madison restaurant Monday morning, according to the Madison Fire Department.

The fire at Taqueria Guadalajara, at 1033 S. Park St., was reported shortly after 7 a.m. and firefighters observed smoke from the restaurant four blocks away.

Investigators said the fire started when a pot left on the stove melted and nearby combustible materials lit on fire.

Total damage is estimated at $225,000, with $150,000 in damage done to the structure and $75,000 in damage done to its contents.

The restaurant owners have told the fire department they plan on reopening at the same location.