The Madison police chief says the man killed by a police officer last Friday was reaching toward the officer's gun when he was shot.

Chief Noble Wray also confirmed that the man was not a burglar, but a neighbor who reportedly had been drinking before he mistakenly entered the wrong house.

Wray said 30-year-old Paul Heenan entered the house using a key the homeowners kept in their door.

Wray also said in a news conference Monday that Heenan wasn't armed when he was fatally shot by the officer.

The chief said Officer Stephen Heimsness was responding to a 911 call about a possible burglary in the 500 block of South Baldwin Street when he arrived to find Heenan struggling with the homeowner outside.

Wray said Heenan advanced toward the officer, grabbed his hand with one and reached toward the officer's gun with the other.

Wray said that Heenan wasn't armed at the time but that Heimsness believed his life was in danger during the struggle and fired three rounds, killing Heenan.

Wray said the incident began when the homeowners called 911 to report a burglary at their home. Wray said officers were told that the caller was a woman, that she was with four children, and that her husband had gone downstairs to investigate.

That's when the male homeowner recognized the suspected burglar, Heenan, as his neighbor and realized he wasn't trying to burglarize the home.

"We did respond to a complaint of a burglary in progress, but that was not what the incident turned out to be," Wray said. "Although this case was called in a burglary in progress, it turns out that Mr. Heenan was not a burglar but someone who had recently moved into the neighborhood and had entered the wrong address."

The homeowner began walking Heenan over to his home, and Heimsness, who was the first officer to arrive at the scene, saw the two men struggling outside when he arrived, according to police.

"It was a very dark street, but as (Heimsness) walked up, he could see two men grappling and struggling. Based on the description of the husband provided by dispatch, he believed he was seeing the homeowner struggling with a possible burglar," Wray said.

Wray said Heimsness pulled out his service weapon, radioed to dispatch about what he was seeing, and ordered the two men to get down on the ground.

Heenan disengaged with the homeowner and focused his attention on Heimsness, Wray said.

The husband moved away with his hands in the air as Heenan moved toward Heimsness, Wray said.

The police chief said Heimsness began to back up, and Heenan swore at the officer and quickly closed the distance between them.

"Officer Heimsness said Mr. Heenan grabbed him, latching on to his left hand with one hand while using the other to reach officer Heimsness's gun. Officer Heimsness believed his life was in danger and fired three rounds," Wray said.

Wray said the entire incident happened very fast, with "just as a matter of seconds between Officer Heimsness told Mr. Heenan to get down when the shots were fired."

"There were several commands by the officer to 'get down' -- that's not in dispute," Wray said.

A second officer, Stacy Troumbly, had gotten out of her squad car at the opposite end of the block and began running toward Heimsness and Heenan. Troumbly provided emergency life-saving measures on Heenan after he was shot.

"From all accounts, there was a struggle between Mr. Heenan and (the homeowner), and there was also a struggle that took place between officer Heimsness and Mr. Heenan," Wray said.

Both officers are on administrative leave, which is standard protocol.

Wray said that based on what he knows so far from the investigation, he believes that Heenan's actions produced a deadly force situation. He said Troumbly and the homeowner also supported Heimsness's account of the incident.

"Anytime you get a citizen in close proximity to a police officer and their weapon is there and becomes part of the issue and there's an aggressive move, I think it does produce a deadly force situation," Wray said.