Fire investigators are working to identify a driver who was involved in a gasoline spill and a fire at a Madison gas station.

A customer at a Mobile gas station in the 3000 block of East Washington Avenue was filling up a vehicle around 12:10 p.m. Thursday when gasoline spilled onto the ground, officials said.

The person was smoking a cigarette at the time of the spill, and the puddle of gasoline caught fire, according to a release.

The customer drove off, but the gas station owner was able to put out the fire before it spread, officials said.

Investigators were called to the gas station and are working to identify the driver, according to the release.