Lightning struck a house on Saturday morning, sparking a fire at a home on Madison's West Side.
Residents were awakened by a loud boom and smelled smoke just before 9 a.m. Fire crews extinguished a fire at the residence located in the 7300 block of Harvest Hill Road.
Fire authorities said flames spread into the attic and roof. The fire caused damage to the siding, roof and roof trusses. The house also suffered water damage.
Two people and a dog escaped the residence safely.
Fire authorities said the lightning strike traveled through the home, damaging an outlet, water meter and electrical panel. Authorities estimated that damage at around $100,000.
Fire authorities said the residents' insurance will provide housing for the occupants.