Fire official: Lightning caused blaze that destroyed Belleville home
Family dog dies in rural house fire
A fire official in Belleville said Wednesday afternoon that crews believe lightning sparked a house fire in Belleville Tuesday, destroying the home and killing a family pet.
Numerous fire departments were called to W4117 Pine Valley Road in Belleville for a report of a house fire Tuesday afternoon.
Firefighters from Belleville, Oregon and Mount Horeb were among those called to the scene.
No one was home at the time of the fire but officials said a family dog died in the blaze.
Neighbors reported seeing a lot of lightning in the area at the time of the fire.
The home was a total loss, according to fire officials at the scene. Officials said Wednesday the estimated cost of damage was about $300,000.
Copyright 2013 by Channel 3000. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.