JANESVILLE, Wis. -

Janesville fire authorities said an LP gas grill explosion led to a house fire on Friday.

Fire crews arrived at 3205 Canterbury Drive in Janesville to find flames had engulfed the back of the home and had spread to a neighboring house.

Fire crews quickly extinguished the fire, but were unable to save two cats and a bird inside the residence. Authorities said the residents and three dogs were able to escape safely.

Damages were estimated at $250,000 and the fire is under investigation. Fire authorities said a grill malfunction was the official cause of the fire.