MADISON, Wis. -

A woman was rescued by Madison firefighters early Tuesday morning after a smoky fire inside her apartment building.

Firefighters were sent to the apartment complex at 11 West Gilman St. just after 3 a.m. Tuesday.

A resident called 911 after she said she heard the smoke alarms in her apartment and saw heavy smoke outside her bedroom. Dispatchers told her to close the bedroom door to keep the smoke and heat out of the room.

Firefighters arrived about four minutes later, raised a ground ladder to the window and pulled the woman out. She was checked by paramedics and not transported to the hospital. Two other residents also got out safely.

Fire crews soon tracked heavy smoke and flames to a fire in the basement of the building and quickly put the fire out.

Fire department officials estimate the fire caused $50,000 in damage to the building. The property owner is finding temporary homes for the residents of the building until repairs are made to the building.