SUN PRAIRIE, Wis. -

A fire Wednesday in a laundry room caused $30,000 worth of damage to the home, according to a news release from the Sun Prairie Fire Department.

Firefighters were called at 4:32 p.m. to a home in the 900 block of Katherine Drive and found heavy smoke coming from the garage. The fire originated in the laundry room, and firefighters were able to confine it to that area.

The homeowner tried to use a fire extinguisher before firefighters arrived. She was able to escape safely with her cats.

Sun Prairie EMS, Sun Prairie police, the Marshall Fire Department and the Red Cross assisted at the scene.