MADISON, Wis. -

A fire that caused $65,000 in damage Tuesday morning has displaced a family and their pets on Madison’s east side, according to a release.

A neighbor called 911 after seeing dark smoke rising from a home in the 5200 block of Piccadilly Drive, officials said.

Crews didn’t see smoke or flames when they arrived, but two people were waiting outside the duplex, according to the release.

Firefighters went into the duplex and found a large amount of smoke in the kitchen, but the fire was out, officials said.

An occupant told officials he put a pan of oil on the stove to cook egg rolls and left it unattended for about five-10 minutes, according to the release. When he returned, he said the pan was on fire.

The fire caused extensive damage to the kitchen, and smoke damage throughout the duplex, officials said.

Four adults and one child were living in the duplex at the time of the fire, according to the release. Three of the adults and the child are getting help from the American Red Cross.

No one, including the family's pets, was injured in the fire.