JANESVILLE, Wis. -

A family was displaced by a fire that was caused by a bag of groceries left on an electric stove, according to a release from the Janesville Fire Department.

Firefighters were called at 4:12 p.m. Wednesday to 12 S. Chatham St. and found smoke coming from the back of the home. They went through the back door and found that the fire had extended through the ceiling of the kitchen to the attic above the stove.

Investigators said the homeowner put groceries on the stove without realizing a burner was on, left to run an errand and came home to the stove fire.

The fire caused $30,000 worth of damage.

The Janesville Police Department and the Milton Fire Department assisted at the scene.