Authorities closed Rimrock Road on the city's south side for about 45 minutes on Friday because of a natural gas leak from a breached gas main, according to Madison fire officials.
Madison Gas & Electric workers worked to stop the leak, which began in the 2200 block of Rimrock Road.
Authorities closed the road to prevent ignition of the vapors because of the passing vehicles.
MG&E workers turned off the gas to the area and were working to repair the break. The road was then reopened to traffic.
Stay tuned to WISC-TV and Channel 3000 for continuing coverage.