Eight people have been taken to a hospital in Dodgeville after suffering the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Police said officers were called to a home just before midnight Thursday on a report of someone having a seizure. When police arrived, they found the residents, including five children, were experiencing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. Eight people were taken to Upland Hills Hospital, including the officer first on the scene who assisted the others.

Police said carbon monoxide apparently was released in the house because a bird's nest was blocking an outside air intake.