A 71-year-old woman is marking a major milestone in her life this spring by earning her G.E.D at Madison College.
Aureola Deloney got pregnant at age 16 and went on to become a mother of six, raising her kids on her own. In the meantime, high school fell to the wayside.
"[I was always] blaming myself for not doing it," Deloney said.
After her kids left the house, Deloney re-focused on that old goal.
"I thought I owed it to myself to get my G.E.D.," she said. "So that's what I did. That's exactly what I did."
After seven years of schooling, Deloney will graduate from Madison College next weekend.
"The teachers were amazing," she said. "They encouraged me. When I wanted to give up and walk away, when I didn't believe in myself, they believed in me."
After graduation, Deloney will consider going to culinary school to become a chef.
"I said to other people, if I can do it - I'm sure you can do it," she said.
- UWPD: Man with gun reported near Union South after reports of armed robbery
- Review: 'The Foreigner' pits Jackie Chan against James Bond
- Distracted drivers delay emergency responders
- Kaepernick to the Pack? Fans weigh in on idea
- Madison police program fights back against repeat overdoses
- County considers $200,000 investment for a large-scale composting facility for farmers