3 dogs killed in house fire

Highway 81 closed more than 4 hours

Published On: Jan 23 2014 06:26:10 AM CST
TOWN OF NEWARK, Wis. -

Three dogs died in a fire that might have been started by a space heater, according to the Rock County Sheriff’s Office.

Firefighters from seven departments were called to 12626 W. State Highway 81 in Newark Township at 8:28 p.m. Wednesday for a report of a residential fire. Everyone was able to escape unharmed.

Deputies said the initial investigation showed the fire started in the garage, and the fire is not suspicious.

The house and two vehicles parked in the garage were lost. Total damage is estimated at more than $100,000.

Traffic was rerouted on Highway 81 for more than four hours.

Firefighters from Orfordville, Evansville, Whitewater, Footville, Fitchburg, Brodhead, Shirland, Brooklyn, Janesville, Edgerton, and the town of Beloit along with Green County EMS, and MD-1 assisted at the scene.