WHITEWATER, Wis. - Two people were injured in a head-on crash involving a semitrailer that closed Highway 12 near Whitewater for six hours, Walworth County sheriff’s officials said.
Emergency crews were called around 10:10 a.m. to a semitrailer versus car head-on crash on the Highway 12 bypass just south of the Wisconsin Street overpass, according to a release.
A green 1997 BMW was on the eastbound shoulder with extensive front end damage, officials said. A 2012 Volvo semi-tractor with an attached tanker trailer was in the southbound ditch.
Highway 12 was closed about six hours for crews to investigate and cleanup debris that was scattered across the roadway, according to the release.
The driver of the BMW, 21-year-old Ryan Gellings, of Whitewater, was taken to a hospital in critical condition, officials said. The driver of the semi, 43-year-old Marc Tracy, of Carpentersville, Illinois, was taken to a hospital with moderate injuries.
Investigators said the BMW was driving east on Highway 12 when it crossed the center line, causing the westbound semi to swerve to the right. The vehicles collided head-on in the westbound lane.
The crash is still under investigation.
- Uniforms coming to Milwaukee schools
- Messy weather closes schools in southern Wisconsin
- Possible homicide charges for teen driver after man killed in crash
- Man credits Mental Health First Aid for saving co-worker's life
- Adams County woman missing 10 days found safe
- Attorney: Robinson settlement a calculated decision by city's insurer