As the days wind down to the deadline for raising the nation's debt ceiling – the so-called fiscal cliff – the level of anxiety among average citizens continues to grow. And that is by far the most egregious error of those in Congress who are stubbornly refusing to negotiate - the willful disregard for the emotional stability of the citizens of this country.
We are not asking for one side of the other to cave on this discussion. As much as we abhor it we understand the politics involved. What we find inexcusable is the refusal to negotiate, and yes it seems to be coming from the far right wing on the Republican party. This willingness to court disaster for purely ideological reasons is as disrespectful as it is unethical. It is self-serving and an affront to millions of people who have still not climbed out of a recession with which our elected leaders have yet to prove they can deal. It is frightening to think how much damage they remain capable of inflicting.
Where is the courage, the leadership, the heart?
- Image copyright 2017 Getty Images. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Surprising facts about Madison you might not know
- Capitol Neighborhoods: The heart of the city
- Regent: An area with unmistakable energy
- Tenney-Lapham: A residential hotspot
- Marquette: One of the nations '10 Great Neighborhoods'