VOTE YES FOR SAME-DAY REGISTRATION
There is a referendum question on Tuesday's Spring Election ballot, and given that it reaffirms fundamental voter rights in Wisconsin it may be as important a reason as any to vote on Tuesday. But you need to remember the question is on the ballot and look for it.
A yes vote says you favor continuing same-day voter registration in Wisconsin, an important protection of voting rights that has been in place in this state for more than 35 years. The referendum is a response to ongoing efforts by Republicans in the state legislature to make it harderto vote by restricting voter access and convenience. Since many of those lawmakers do not listen to citizens in any other way, we think a strong turnout and big numbers on this question might have an impact.
Last November Dane County had one of the biggest voter turnouts in the nation. Resist cynical attempts to change that and send the message Tuesday to stop trying to make it more difficult to vote.
- Image copyright 2017 Getty Images. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Surprising facts about Madison you might not know
- Capitol Neighborhoods: The heart of the city
- Regent: An area with unmistakable energy
- Tenney-Lapham: A residential hotspot
- Marquette: One of the nations '10 Great Neighborhoods'