As you know WISC's editorial board has joined with others around the state to call on Committee chairs in the state Senate and Assembly to schedule hearings on a bill to reform the way Wisconsin redraws political maps every ten years. And as you know those legislators have refused with their leaders support.
There is a bipartisan bill to consider, co-authored by Democratic State Senator Tim Cullen and Republican State Senator Dale Shultz and that bill, as drafted, gives critics exactly what they are asking for: Ultimate approval over a redistricting plan left in the hands of the legislature.
It's not a perfect bill, and Cullen and Schultz do not claim that it is. But there is no reason not to bring the bill to the floor where it can be debated and improved.
For now that's all they, and we, are asking
- Image copyright 2017 Getty Images. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Surprising facts about Madison you might not know
- Capitol Neighborhoods: The heart of the city
- Regent: An area with unmistakable energy
- Tenney-Lapham: A residential hotspot
- Marquette: One of the nations '10 Great Neighborhoods'