UNREASONABLE COST OF OPENNESS
There's a bill working its way through the Wisconsin legislature that would dramatically increase the cost of obtaining public records. It would restrict the ability of citize
ns to access records to which they have a right and we oppose the effort.
The bill is a response to a Wisconsin Supreme Court ruling that allowing custodians of public records to charge a fee for redacting sensitive information is not allowed under current law. So some want to change the law. But redacting information is part of the job of maintaining public records. In other words the work is already paid for. And this new law would surely violate the spirit of Wisconsin's for the most part very good open records rules.
Public records belong to the public. Reasonable restrictions are already in place and appropriate. This is unreasonable. It should not pass.
- Image copyright 2017 Getty Images. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Surprising facts about Madison you might not know
- Capitol Neighborhoods: The heart of the city
- Regent: An area with unmistakable energy
- Tenney-Lapham: A residential hotspot
- Marquette: One of the nations '10 Great Neighborhoods'