TOURISM IS BIG BUSINESS
This week is National Travel and Tourism Week, which sound a little innocuous in and of itself. Who doesn't like travel and tourism right? But this week actually deserves little deeper thought and consideration, because travel and tourism is in fact big business, and its impact on the Greater Madison region is significant.
Here are just a few numbers to support that claim, Tourist spending in Dane County in 2012 totaled $1.7 Billion. Nineteen thousand-466 jobs are supported directly by tourism spending. And Dane County is ranked 2nd in the state in tourism expenditure.
Compared to some equivalent industries, tourism is clean, smart and fun. The spinoffs from people who come to visit and like what they find are endless. Fortunately our Greater Madison Convention and Visitors Bureau is among the best. But they, and tourism and travel businesses throughout our community, need continued support. Tourism is big business, but its also good business. Let's keep it strong.
- Image copyright 2017 Getty Images. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Surprising facts about Madison you might not know
- Capitol Neighborhoods: The heart of the city
- Regent: An area with unmistakable energy
- Tenney-Lapham: A residential hotspot
- Marquette: One of the nations '10 Great Neighborhoods'