START WITH THE PFC
A little more than week ago we told you how impressed we were with the independent police complaint review panel WISC's Theo Keith found in Knoxville, Tennessee. The citizen panel helped create an environment of trust in Knoxville that benefitted both citizens and law enforcement. We thought it a good starting place for Madison as it continues resolving the recent fatal police shooting of Paul Heenan.
As we look deeper into this issue we keep running into our own Police and Fire Commission, and ask if perhaps that should the starting place locally for establishing this kind of citizen review and oversight process. In some ways the PFC is statutorily stronger than the Knoxville model. And it could be even stronger.
We know Alder Shiva Bidar-Sielaff is especially thoughtful on the PFC. It's not perfect, but we think the city council might do well to look at it as a place to start boosting this community's response to police incidents.
- Image copyright 2017 Getty Images. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Surprising facts about Madison you might not know
- Capitol Neighborhoods: The heart of the city
- Regent: An area with unmistakable energy
- Tenney-Lapham: A residential hotspot
- Marquette: One of the nations '10 Great Neighborhoods'